About Me

My photo
My Freelance Work include: Helping WHNT Channel 19 with Election Returns in Tuscumbia, Al; March 2012, Worked with Alabama Public Radio I’m with Phil documentary coverage Florence, Al; March 2012, Represented Alabama Public Radio at the George Lindsey Film Festival in Florence, Al; March 2012, Worked with Alabama Public Radio on Phil Campbell high School Band coverage in Florence, Al; March 2012, and the Videographer for the Black Student Alliance Organization Fashion Show in Florence, Al; April 2012

Monday, February 21, 2011

ANTS, WORMS, GRASSHOPPERS..."OH MY"

So what is bugging you?

At the London restaurant Archipelago, diners can order the $11 Baby Bee Brulee: a creamy custard topped with a crunchy little bee. In New York, the Mexican restaurant Toloache offers $11 chapulines tacos: two tacos stuffed with Oaxacan-style dried grasshoppers.
Could beetles, dragonfly larvae and water bug caviar be the meat of the future? As the global population booms and demand strains the world's supply of meat, there's a growing need for alternate animal proteins. Insects are high in protein, B vitamins and minerals like iron and zinc, and they're low in fat. Insects are easier to raise than livestock, and they produce less waste. Insects are abundant. Of all the known animal species, 80% walk on six legs; over 1,000 edible species have been identified. And the taste? It's often described as "nutty."
(Read from the Wall Street Journal)  The MEAT of the Future!
The world is ever changing and we have to change with it. I don't know how I would feel about eating bugs hey "Don't knock it till you try" . The vast majority of the developing world already eats insects. In Laos and Thailand, weaver-ant pupae are a highly prized and nutritious delicacy. They are prepared with shallots, lettuce, chilies, lime and spices and served with sticky rice. Further back in history, the ancient Romans considered beetle larvae to be gourmet fare, and the Old Testament mentions eating crickets and grasshoppers. 
Our food needs are on the rise. The human population is expected to grow from six billion in 2000 to nine billion in 2050. Meat production is expected to double in the same period, as demand grows from rising wealth. Pastures and fodder already use up 70% of all agricultural land, so increasing livestock production would require expanding agricultural acreage at the expense of rain forests and other natural lands. Officials at the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization recently predicted that beef could become an extreme luxury item by 2050, like caviar, due to rising production costs. (WSJ)



Tell me what you think. Lets have a discussion.

Until Next Time,
Elle :)

3 comments:

  1. All I have to say is that i hope not. However, I must include that I would not doubt that we will eventually get there. I hope to that Timon and Pumbaa are correct and they are, "slimy yet satisfying."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess its not surprising since the majprity of the world considers insects a delicacy but you won't catch me ordering it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A person like eating insects is their cultural tradition or habit. They are crazy about that. To me, it is disgusting. I cannot accept that. Once, my friend invited me to go to a restaurant to eat dog, I refused that. Dog is our friends, I cannot do it. Although the insect is smaller than dog, it is also exist in our planet.

    ReplyDelete